General Assignment Reporter
December 2016 to Present
I wrote at least four stories per day, took photos, produced and edited videos and recorded and analyzed data about Chicago’s gun violence. I wrote about crime in Chicago daily and kept track of every murder victim in Chicago for DNAinfo’s award-winning “Murder Timeline.”
I covered politics, education and business, among other beats. I was the go-to reporter for breaking news.
I was trained in search engine optimization and social media engagement to grow DNAinfo’s audience. I shared stories with readers through radio segments with DNAinfo and other media outlets.
Breaking News Reporter
May 2015 to December 2016
I wrote at least three stories per day and focused on Chicago’s gun violence and crime. I regularly visited the scenes of shootings to interview victims and witnesses of violence to provide context about the history of Chicago’s violence—a national news topic—and how it is affecting people in the city.
I updated and analyzed DNAinfo Chicago’s databases on shootings and homicides.
May to August 2013 and May to August 2014
I produced more than 200 stories, took photos and edited videos for DNAinfo. I produced stories and packages every day. I covered major events like the shooting of a CEO in the Loop and the 2013 Blackhawks parade. I also wrote human interest stories, among them coverage of food truck owners’ conflicts with competing restaurants.
Writer and Copy Editor
February 2017 to Present
I write news and feature stories on a freelance basis. I focus on violence, poverty and how those issues affect communities in Chicago.
As a freelance copy editor, I have worked with Boxer Brand Design in Chicago to proofread promotions material, presentations, legal copy and more.
Chicago Headline Club
• Best photo online: 2017
• Best deadline reporting online: 2016
Associated Collegiate Press
• Diversity news story of the year, honorable mention: 2013
Illinois College Press Association
• Best news story, first place: 2015; second place: 2012; honorable mention: 2015
• Best feature story, first place: 2013
• Newspaper general excellence, first place: 2015; second place: 2012, 2013, 2014 (editor in chief)
• Jim Killam Mentor Award: 2015
• Tom Fullmer Editing Award: 2013, 2014
• Kathy Orr McDonald Award for Editorial Excellence
• Best Damn Reporter Award
• AP Style, copy editing
• DSLR photography and video
• Social media expertise: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
• Basic HTML and CSS
• InCopy, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop expertise
• FinalCut, iMovie expertise
• WordPress and Blox content management systems
• Proficient in Chartbeat and Google Analytics
• Page design
• Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets
Northern Illinois University